"Horse Riding" Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Ometepe Things to Do Tip by mircaskirca

Isla de Ometepe Things to Do: 64 reviews and 177 photos

my guide preparing the horse

my guide preparing the horse
    by mircaskirca
      horses while we took a walk to the view point
      beans field & Lago de Nicaragua in the background
      view of Volcán Concepción and Lago Nicaragua
      Vulcán Concepción in the background
    by mircaskirca

Horse riding is a wonderful pastime activity on the island. In many ways, it is the best way to get around this muddy and steep terrain, and experience the island's village life. Surprisingly, no independent operator is offering rides yet, so ask at your hotel. Normally you can rent horses for between 5 US $ and 7 US 4 an hour, which should come with a guide. Where you go it depends on the area you rent from. You can go for a ride towards the lake and get the chance to explore the tiny villages. The beaches around Santo Domingo are also a nice place to ride.

As I was staying at Albergue Ecológico El Porvenir, it was most convenient to rent a horse there. I asked the owner José what were the options and he suggested a ride to the slopes of Vulcán Maderas. We left El Porvenir at 8am following a trail to the volcano. It was a steep terrain through the forest, plantations and pastures scattered with volcanic rocks, offering some great views. After about an hour ride we came to a huge bean field where we left the horses. We took a short walk to a viewpoint where we were able to appreciate a fantastic panoramic view of Ometepe and Lago Nicaragua, with Volcán Concepción in the background.

The ride took 2,5 hours and it was 5 US $ per hour (December 2010).

• Updated May 8, 2011

Comments

Have you been to Isla de Ometepe?