"Very cheerful cemeteries" Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Local Custom Tip by Trekki
Italy Local Customs: 317 reviews and 328 photos
If only more countries would have such colourful cemeteries like in Italy – the deceased would definitely be more happy! One example is of course famous San Michele, the cemetery of Venezia la Serenissima. Like here, the cemeteries are usually divided into several sections, according to the type of graves and the religious beliefs. Many graves are decorated not only with a photo of the beloved ones but also with marvellous statues, often referring to his or her life. And then of course there are the typical colourful “mass” graves, with very little space but a lot of decoration, usually plastic flowers and photos and small objects and electrical lamps, often as a flame, related to the beloved ones. The deceased play an important role for the religious Italians, that’s why November 1 and 2, ognissanti and giorno dei morti, are celebrated. In a way this reminds me of Mexico. During this time, each region has its local specialities in the pastry shops, for example the fave dei morti (last photo) in Umbria. Chrysanthemums are being brought to the graves, in yellow and white.
Many monumental cemeteries in Italy are famous and guided tours are being offered. I think the most famous one is the huge Cimitero Monumentale di Staglieno (in Genova) and Cimitero Campo Verano in Roma.
© Ingrid D., April 2011 (just in case, RickS or others come along and think they can steal texts).
More Reviews (100)
- See All Marvellous old palazzo in middle Umbria
- See All ZTL: limited&controlled car traffic,...
- See All Don’t reduce Italy to the famous cities...
- See All Spello: Umbria’s flower town & amazing...
- See All Delicious snacks: zero need to look for...
- See All No warnings, just learn some "rules" :)
- See All Marina Rinaldi - what a gorgeous...
- See All While you are sightseeing
- See All Hiking in Alto Adige: enchanting
- See All Utmost trash: M. di Blasi, Frances Mayes
- See All Madonna della Stella, with fascinating...
Been to Italy?Share your travels with the world!
Trekki's Related Pages
Explore the World
Have you been to Italy?Share Your Travels
Top Italy hotels
- Rome Hotels
- 11939 Reviews - 26463 Photos
- Venice Hotels
- 8142 Reviews - 21399 Photos
- Milan Hotels
- 2765 Reviews - 6830 Photos
- Florence Hotels
- 5082 Reviews - 11268 Photos
- Sorrento Hotels
- 627 Reviews - 1400 Photos
- Positano Hotels
- 300 Reviews - 632 Photos
- Amalfi Hotels
- 255 Reviews - 728 Photos
- Taormina Hotels
- 259 Reviews - 697 Photos
- Pisa Hotels
- 1384 Reviews - 3892 Photos
- Verona Hotels
- 1694 Reviews - 4251 Photos
- Trieste Hotels
- 744 Reviews - 1940 Photos
- Siena Hotels
- 890 Reviews - 2681 Photos
- Lucca Hotels
- 568 Reviews - 1478 Photos
- La Spezia Hotels
- 120 Reviews - 250 Photos
- Palermo Hotels
- 472 Reviews - 1147 Photos