"Antarctica synchonized swimming, a la Penguin" Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Favorite Tip by 850prc

Antarctica Favorites: 120 reviews and 169 photos

Everybody JUMP.

Everybody JUMP.
    by 850prc
      Ok, head back under water.
      Now jump again. :)
    by 850prc

Favorite thing: I'd seen many many penguins in zoos, and I felt like I had a pretty good idea of what they were like. I figured the trip to Antarctica would show me penguins in their native habitat and in unimaginable numbers. But, I was surprised and delighted to see them SWIM.

They generally will go for little swims in groups, and they really do look like "little porpoises", zipping along and hopping up into the air along the way. They actually seem to synchronize the hops a bit, because it seemed to me that groups of 8 or 10 penguins would almost always be out of the water at the same time.

My pictures probably don't do it justice, but if you look at several of them, you'll maybe get the idea. Seeing these little guys on a synchronized swim just brings a smile to your face.

Fondest memory: Seeing my first penguin swim show, and at first thinking they were porpoises or some other type of sleek swimming water mammal or fish. They do things so very TOGETHER.

• Updated Apr 26, 2011

Comments

850prc

“Proud visitor to all seven continents! Presently giving thought to the eternal question.... where to next? ”

Have you been to Antarctica?