"A must!" Israel Things to Do Tip by sheherezad

Israel Things to Do: 781 reviews and 1,392 photos

> Please can anyone assist and give me an idea whether we should sleep in Jerusalem as opposed to a day trip and also how we can incorporate the dead sea..

If I were you, I would do more than a day trip to soak in the Old City, especially :-) If you are Jewish, you should definitely visit the Al Kotel (even if you are not religious, it should be a must, as visiting the Al Aqsa and Dome of the Rock is for Muslims and the Church of Holy Sepulchre and Via Dolorosa for Christians! And all of them for me!).

You might regret doing just a day trip - I was in East Jerusalem for 9 days (2 weekends plus a congress in my field during the week) but went back to the Old City for lunch before leaving for Tel Aviv for my flight to Amman. I had to see it again! One last time! It 'got' me and I'm not even religious!

You can do the Dead Sea from Jerusalem on a tour - I chose Nazareth and the Sea of Galilee, which gave me a real understanding of the importance of the Golan Heights and the water resource that the Sea of Galilee is!

• Written Apr 13, 2011