JAMIE'S ITALIAN: "Jamie Oliver has arrived in the desert" Top 5 Page for this destination Jamie's Italian Tip by JessH

Jamie's Italian, Dubai: 1 reviews and 5 photos

Crab Bruschetta, Jamies Italian (July 2012)
by JessH

Crab Bruschetta, Jamies Italian (July 2012)
      Prawn & Chili Linguini, Jamies Italian Dubai
    by JessH
      Al Fresco at Jamies Italian, Dubai (2011)
      6-hour slow cooked lamb, Jamies Italian, Dubai
    by JessH
      Bridge leading to Jamies Italian, Dubai (2011)
    by JessH

(Licensed - serves alcoholic beverages)

I have a confession to make: Hello, my name is Jess and I'm a foodie... I admit to enjoying cooking programs and I also admit that I find myself trying recipes by my favourite celebrity chefs - topping my list is Jamie Oliver. Love him or loath him, there is no denying that this fresh-faced boy from Essex has had a huge impact on the way Brits (and the rest of the world) approach, prepare and eat food. When I heard that he was bringing his unique concept to Dubai in the shape of "Jamie's Italian", I could hardly wait to give it a try.

The restaurant seats a total of 290 guests. The ground floor seats 136; the stylish upstairs balcony area 54 and 100 seats are on the medium-sized outdoor terrace parallel to Festival Centre Canal Walk.
(1st visit, March 2011) We sat outside and were promptly greeted by very welcoming, friendly and knowledgeable staff. I quite liked the fact that main courses can be ordered either as small (half-portions) or regular sized meals.

Here's what we ordered and the verdict:
> Tomatoes & Buffalo mozarella (very small portion but great flavours.)
> Salad with apple and gorgonzola (generous portion, very good).
> Jamie's mixed bread basket (wouldn't order this again: very small for the price).
> Prawn Linguine with chili, rocket and fennel (I am SO cooking this at home! Amazing!)
> Rabbit Ragu Pappadelle (very rich, great flavour, too rich to finish to dish actually!)
> Daily Special: 6-hour slow roast leg of lamb with roast sweet potato, beetroot and new potatoes (both my husband and father-in-law absolutely loved this dish).
> Lemon Ricotta Cheese Cake (very, very good cheese cake).
> Tuscan Hazelnut & Chocolate Torte (a surprising combination that worked really well.)
> Home made Ginger Ale Lemonade (served in a large jug with a wooden spoon for stirring... unmistakeably Jamie's "rustic" style and very refreshing).

Favorite Dish:

The Verdict:
The food keeps what it promises: big flavours, unpretentious but high quality produce.
Prices for starters are a little high, but the generous main portions make-up for that.
Service is friendly without being overly attentive (read: not American style) and the menu changes to reflect the best of every season, which is what Mr Oliver is famous for and we love that. Since they've obtained their alcohol license, this place has become popular so bookings for dinner are vital!

-> 2nd visit: The Fish in a Bag is wonderful (I had Red Snapper) together with clams and mussels, fresh herbs, new potatoes and a kick of chili - wonderful.
As it was my husband's birthday the staff gave him an "ultimate brownie" for free... it was DEVINE. Without exaggeration: if that brownie had asked me right there and then to leave my husband and run off with it, I would have (ok, perhaps a little exaggeration, but it was amazing!)

--> 3rd visit: My husband had the Pasta with Ragu, I had the linguine with prawns & chilli, and a friend of ours ordered the wild mushroom ravioli... and we just *had to* share that ultimate brownie for dessert... smiles all around the table. Another great meal!

--> 4th visit: Crab Bruschetta (sweet and juicy!), Pasta with Mussels (fantastic white wine sauce), the burger which is just HUGE, and Tiramisu... fantastic, with not too much Mascarpone cream and a hint of alcohol - perfetto!

Opening Hours:
Sundays 12midday to 12midnight.
Thursday - Saturday 12midday to 01:00am.

Address: Marina Pavillon, Dubai Festival City, PO Box 32867
Comparison: about average
Directions: Parking details: Spice Parking, Level 1, area 102.
othercontact: dfc@jamiesitaliangcc.com
Phone: (00971-0)4-232 9969
Price: US$31-40
Rating: 5
Theme: Italian
Website: http://www.jamiesitaliangcc.com/

• Updated Jul 8, 2012

Comments

JessH Lives Here!

JessH

“I've packed my bags, I'm ready to go... ... ...”

Have you been to Dubai?