"Do not rent from Executive (or ACE) Cancun" Vehicle rentals Tip by yla1031

Vehicle rentals, Cancún: 37 reviews and 8 photos

We reserved a car, showed up at the terminal desk and were told they had no car for us. We went the their office where one picks up the cars and we saw cars. Those were broken. But then they rented one to someone. She had apparently prepaid. Then another guy shows up for a car and I ask him if he prepaid and he said that he hadn't and they still gave him a car. I offer to pay more for a car and they still won't give us one. After four hours and 4 or 5 calls to customer service we finally get a car (for twice the reservation price) and are on our way (we planned a 10 day road trip through southeastern Mexico). On the second day of our trip, the car breaks down in the middle of the mountains. We are stranded until a policeman saves us, calls a tow truck, and takes us to the nearest town (1 hour away). We take a taxi to our next stop (2 hours away) and eventually, after more calls to customer service, another rental car is delivered by a mechanic and his family. By this time we are 16 hours from Cancun and it takes a couple of days to get the new car.
Our trip continues normally until we drop the car off. They want to charge us 25,000 pesos ($2000) for the engine overheating. I tell them that the engine would only overheat if there was a maintenance problem with the car (e.g. stretching the coolant with water) and they tell that I shouldn't worry about it because my credit card company has car rental insurance that will cover it. They told us we couldn't leave the country unless we paid. They even tried to charge my credit card without my authorization. We even had the cops called who said we could do nothing but pay unless we were willing to miss our flight (we would have to go see a magistrate two hours away to resolve the dispute).
We are still trying to get this resolved (3 months later). By the way, our insurance expressly does not cover mechanical failure of rental cars so they don't end up paying the bill for a rental companies failure to maintain its fleet.
These guys are rotten through and through and will think nothing of ruining your vacation and milking you for every cent they think they can get. DO NOT RENT WITH THEM!

Mode: TO
Type: Car/Motor Home

• Written Mar 28, 2011

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.