"Take a steep stroll up to the Salvatorkirche" Top 5 Page for this destination Salvatorkirche - Salvatorburg Tip by CatherineReichardt

by CatherineReichardt

I like cities, but I don't much enjoy prolonged exposure to hoards of people, so after a couple of hours in Aachen's old town during Karnival (a coincidence rather than something I'd planned), I felt the need to escape the madding crowds of pleasantly half-enebriated people in bizarre garb.

Fortunately Aachen's old town is small and surrounded by a 'belt' of parks and gardens. I followed my nose to the Salvatorburg, just north of the spa complex, which is a steep walk through a park which gives way to some lovely woodland. Even though the town is only a few hundred metres away, it feels as though you have escaped the city and the walk up the hill is exhilarating.

At the top of the hill is the exquisite Salvatorkirche, a gorgeous little church all but hidden from the town below by the surrounding trees. Coincidentally it was the second Salvatorkirche that I had stumbled across in as many days, and it seemed as if the atmospheric intimacy of Aachen and the imposing bulk of Duisburg's towering namesake were at opposite ends of the spectrum.

As befits the setting, the interior of the church is simple but very beautiful, and very much in keeping with the architecture. One of the rather whimsical yardsticks that I use to 'rate' churches is whether I'd like to be have been married there, and I had no problem whatsoever imagining the pews filled with family and friends.

A lovely spot to catch up on yourself and just 'be', and perhaps a good spot to offer a prayer for your loved ones.

Address: Salvatorburg 1, 52070 Aachen
Directions: North of the city centre, beyond the ring road.
Website: http://www.aachen.de

• Updated Aug 8, 2012

Comments

CatherineReichardt

“Never go the same way twice!”

Have you been to Aachen?