La Casa Amarilla: "the place to stay in Mompós" Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Hotel Tip by richiecdisc

Colombia Hotels: 95 reviews and 164 photos

cute murals add some atmosphere
by richiecdisc

Though Mompós has many accommodation options, La Casa Amarilla seems to have completely taken over the backpackers' market. It's for good reason and is now perhaps a few notches above its original incarnation as well as a bit higher in prices quoted in the most recent guidebooks. Since we had so much success haggling over bus fares we figured we would do the same with the room when quoted 60,000 COP (20,000 more than in the guide!) for a double with private bath. They would not budge so I left Doreen in the common room and went to have a look around town. I found some very cheap places but they were really hovels and not the pleasant rooms we had envisioned on our swing through Colombia's Bayou region. I also found some places for 50000 COP that were very nice but much smaller than the room we'd been shown at La Casa. I went back with my tail between my legs to talk it over with my wife but by the time I'd returned, they had dropped the price to 50000 COP ($25) so we gladly took it without much deliberation.

The location is on the outskirts of town just slightly but right on the riverfront. The combination makes it a very quiet scenic spot. It is also next to the prettiest church in town so great for getting photos of it early in the morning. There is a convenient beer garden out front that makes your nightlife choice simple too. The building is well kept and colorful and the common areas have great murals that brighten it up quite a bit. The courtyard of the colonial building is charming and great for relaxing mid-day. There is a common kitchen open to all as well as a DVD player and collection in the living room. Overall, it was a very stylish affair.

Unique Qualities: Unique Qualities: Our room was very spacious with a comfortable, modern bed and nice nightstands with lamps. The private bath was again modern and had hot running water. The air-conditioning worked very well. In fact, with no blanket, it had to be put on very low while sleeping! It was however a great reprieve during the midday Mompós heat and we generally spent a few hours after lunch in there relaxing before heading back out for the afternoon photo shoot. They also had very modern rooms that had just been finished which were priced at 100000 COP ($50) which seemed very good quality if you are looking for a more upscale option.

Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: In steamy Mompós
Price: less than US$20
Theme: Hostel

• Written Feb 13, 2011

Comments

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Have you been to Colombia?