"Chocolate Workshop" Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Things to Do Tip by mircaskirca

Granada Things to Do: 181 reviews and 524 photos

cacao paste to make chocolate bar
      cacao paste to make chocolate bar
    by mircaskirca
      Natalia toasting the cacao beans
      toasting cacao beans
      pealing of cacao beans
    by mircaskirca
      model filled with cacao paste
    by mircaskirca

Chocolate workshops are organized by ChocoMuseo and there must be minimum of two people. When I signed up I was hoping for more people showing their interest. At the end we were four, together with Petra and an English couple. At the workshop we learnt how to make our own chocolate from cacao beans. Of course, we did everything by hand. Natalia explained about cacao tree, cacao nuts and how to obtain fermented cacao beans, the base for making a delicious chocolate. She brought us to one of the patios and the workshop began.

First we toasted the cacao beans in a clay pot over an open fire. Then we pealed tha cacao beans. This was quite a work and we all got blisters. From the husk we prepared a cacao husk tea. Then we ground the cacao nibs (shelled and roasted cacao beans - their taste is nicely bittersweer and they have the crunchy, toasty flavour of roasted nuts) to obtain a thick paste that we used for preparing different types of chocolate drinks: Aztec ? with chilli, Mayan ? with vanilla and cinnamon, chilli and Spanish ? with milk.

And finally, we prepared some well-ground pure cacao paste to make our own chocolate bar (each of us made two), and we could add vanilla, cinnamon, almonds, cashew nuts, orange or rum. Mine were with almonds. The models filled with cacao paste had to stay in a fridge overnight before they were ready to enjoy. I left Granada next day early in the morning so I could not come. But Natalia said there was no need to worry. The chocolates would wait for me until one week later when I was back to Granada.

The chocolate workshop was a great experience, we had lots of fun and the chocolate was just delicious. It usually starts at 5pm. The price is US $ 20 per person if there are 2 people, and less if there are more. We were four and it was US $ 16 per person (December 2010).

Address: Calle Atravesada
Directions: two blocks from Parque Central; in ChocoMuseo, across from Bancentro
othercontact: ChocoMuseo@gmail.com
Phone: +505 2552 4678
Website: http://chocomuseo.com/search/label/Chocolate%20workshop

• Updated Nov 4, 2012

Have you been to Granada?