"Favourite European Churches-StServatius,Maastricht" Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Things to Do Tip by Maryimelda
Europe Things to Do: 1,313 reviews and 2,177 photos
Originally built over the grave of St Servatius, this beautiful church has been rebuilt, replaced, restored and renovated many times until the present church was declared a basilica by Pope John Paul II when he visited Maastricht in May 1985.
The history of St Servatius is very interesting and quite remarkable. He was a Bishop who lived in the fourth century and vehemently denounced Arianism. His tomb in St Servatius Basilica has been visited by all manner and means of famous identities ranging from Charlemagne to Pope John Pau II.
The bell tower houses a carillon of 43 bells and is known world wide.
Directions: Overlooking the Vrijthof in Maastricht
More Things to Do in Europe (75)
More Reviews (61)
- See All Bretzenheim Eremitage, Rhineland...
- See All Best way to see the Rhine
- See All Be proud to be a tourist in Europe
- See All Renowned Shopping Streets: Ruedesheim
- See All These take the cake.
- See All Not everything in Europe is BIG
Maryimelda's Related Pages
Have you been to Europe?Share Your Travels