"Free City Tours (Chicagogreeter.com)" Cultural Center Tip by Sharonov

Cultural Center, Chicago: 22 reviews and 54 photos

I'll be at the meeting! Just want to add that one of my volunteer gigs is that of a Chicago Greeter. The Greeter thing is global now and is fantastic--you can get a free tour of any area of the city that you choose and the city even provides a bus pass to get there. I do Old Town, Chinatown, Beverly, South Loop and all the downtown stuff. Go to Chicagogreeter.com to see more.

This isn't an advertisement because it's all free. Just wanted you to know that it's available. I had a Paris Greeter last November--same concept and I really enjoyed it.

Address: Chicago Cultural Center, Randolph & Michigan
Directions: It's Across from the north end of Millenium Park
Phone: 312-743-0266
Website: http://chicagogreeter.com

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Written Feb 7, 2011

More Things to Do in Chicago (1)

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2016 at 3:17 PM

Great travel map!

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2013 at 4:26 AM

Shalom,
    I have heard of the "greeter" system, (a friend in Iceland also does the same) but have never met any of the people who do it. ..For which cities does this operate outside the US?, is there a single database for all over the world?
    Martin

• Sharonov's Profile Photo
      Sep 9, 2013 at 6:18 AM

Hi Martin,
      The program seems to be taking off nicely. Here's where you can find a list of destinations that have the service: http://www.globalgreeternetwork.info

I'm a Chicago Greeter, as you know; I've also used the service in Paris and have applied to use it in Berlin when we're there at the end of the month. Good luck and hope you can find a Greeter wherever you're going, or perhaps start a service whereer you live.
      Sharon

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo
      Sep 10, 2013 at 4:30 AM

Thanks for the link Sharon, I have saved it and will take a better look later. For now I see that France is well covered and Israel only in Tel-Aviv.
      As for being a Greeter here in Arad, Israel, many VTers who visits Israel make it to us and stays with us...in fact when you look at the "most visited sites in Israel", Arad (a small nondescript town in the middle of nowhere), comes in fifth ^O^
      Martin

Sharonov Lives Here!

Sharonov

“Go whenever you can, stay as long as you can”

Ranked Member

Have you been to Chicago?