General Tip: "Souvenir Buying in Budapest" Budapest Shopping Tip by johngayton

Buda Castle Sales On A Slow Day

Buda Castle Sales On A Slow Day
      Tourist Section At Great Market Hall
    by johngayton

As with any other tourist-orientated city you'll find plenty of places here to buy your souvenirs.

Personally the only souvenirs I used to buy would be a couple of bottles of the local hooch but because I usually travel with only hand-lugggage the present liquids rules preclude that and so most of my momentos are those I've downloaded from my camera onto my laptop plus those etched into my personal memory bank.

If you do want physical reminders, or gifts, from your visit then I'd avoid the obvious tourist trap places such as Buda Castle, the Gerbeaud giftshop and others of their ilk. Some of the stuff on the upper floor of the Great Market looked interesting (and because there's a whole clutch of places competing against each other seemed reasonably priced).

The best places though, in my opinion, (although I don't put my money where my mouth is) are those such as the gift shops at the museums, the Opera House and those sort of places where the extra bit of income gained from the sales is ploughed back into the general upkeep of the attraction.

Me - I'm a total skinflint these days - I just come home with a few restaurant bills and public transport tickets stuffed my wallet as the physical proof of my visit.

Just an excuse to use these couple of pics and the advice is obviously geriatric - or do I mean generic?

Theme: Other

• Written Feb 6, 2011

Comments

johngayton

“The slow lane often gets you there faster”

Have you been to Budapest?