THE APPLE SHED: "FAMOUS TURKEY POT PIES-THUR & FRI ONLY" Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Restaurant Tip by travelgourmet

Tehachapi Restaurants: 30 reviews and 76 photos

BRIGHT OUTSIDE OF THE APPLE SHED

BRIGHT OUTSIDE OF THE APPLE SHED
      BAKERY GOODIES FRESH BAKED
      ALL KINDS OF FUDGE, EVEN GREEN PISTACHIO
      A LITTLE SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE GIFT STORE
    by travelgourmet

Apples are red and so is the Apple Shed. Well, actually white with red trim with red apple cut outs on the building. The Apple Shed was once the location for a potato shed for farmers. Burned down twice, and built back to the old look everyone wanted.

Confusing to me is the fact that I was told go there on a Thursday or Friday and get their Famous Turkey Pot Pie. I said, if it is that famous why only sell it on Thursday and Friday. Huh? Say, What? That's like telling McDonald's to only sell their Big Mac on Monday and Tuesday. The Apple Shed serves breakfast, lunch and have a lighter fare menu, but no dinner menu, even though they stay open till the evening. I guess that is for the late lunch crowd. Anyway, lots of tables way in the back, so you have to walk by the tourist gift area and the bakery and fudge display cases.

Surprise, I didn't get past the fudge display. When I walked in, I noticed the fudge display first. Now, I was going for the "famous Turkey Pot Pie" since it was a Friday and the day was still young, but I saw a pistachio fudge tray in the display. The sales girl behind the case was very friendly and offered me a sample. That did it. That fudge had pistachio written all over it, even green in color, although the pistachios I have eaten were blanched shells with a very pale green nut. This fudge was St. Patrick Day green. Now, that will get your attention every time. After sampling, I didn't care if the color was blue. It was delicious and smooth melting in the mouth, I'm ready for more. Asked for a pound to go, and said to my wife, I can't eat lunch now. I'm having my sugar fix. Maybe, next time. Hold the thought on that Famous Turkey Pot Pie. Thank ya kindly but I have to leave now with my green fudge. Now, I have to find a restaurant that has a dinner menu.

Favorite Dish: (UPDATE: I have eaten here now two different times and I must say the food is good, but I got the chicken fried steak one time and I am sorry but the gravy was not tasty or good. Improve the gravy and we might have a winner. I will stick to the sandwiches.)
I'm sad to say I did not sample or eat at the Apple Shed restaurant. Now, don't get me wrong. The folks that were sitting down to a meal, must have been lunch, seemed happy enough and slingin' the food down, but I could not tell if any of them were having the Famous Turkey Pot Pie that is only sold on Thursday and Friday. Oh yeah, I forgot one thing. The menu says, till they run out. Okay, that's about all I can take. Make a fella wait for the two days a week the Famous Turkey Pot Pie is made and then you say they might run out. I guess next time I am in Tehachapi, it better be a Thursday or a Friday and I'll be waiting by the door for the Apple Shed to open and I will walk right by that fudge display and go have that Famous Turkey Pot Pie. My, my.

Address: 333 E. Tehachapi Blvd Tehachapi, CA. 93561, USA
Rating: 3
Theme: American
Website: http://appleshedonline.com/

• Updated Jul 27, 2012

More Restaurants in Tehachapi (1)

Comments

travelgourmet

“"It isn't where you've traveled; it's how you arrived."”

Have you been to Tehachapi?