"Make your dreams come true - Go Bantimurung" Makassar Local Custom Tip by wondersF

Makassar Local Customs: 5 reviews and 9 photos

Signage & Direction to cave

Signage & Direction to cave
    by wondersF
      Trail head - half hidden, seen when approached
      The stairs itself
      walkway of silt
      entrance - Gua Mimpi
    by wondersF

I had an interest in exploring caves, and that was in the early 1990s. I had since stopped caving as the hobby was called.
Recently the media reported and also showed a documentary of a large cave in central Vietnam. This newly found cave took over the title of the world's largest cave away from previous title holder Rajah Caves of Mulu, Sarawak, Malaysia.

Why that short introduction on Caves? In the anxious search for birds in Bantimurung, I overlooked the fact that there were reports of caves there. Not until I was prompted by the signs when I was already in the Park.

The 2 notable caves could only be reached by a level paved walkway following the river's bank on top of the waterfall in the park. That day, heavy rainfall got the river to overflow its bank earlier in the day and though the water level by the time we arrived had dropped. This walkway to the cave entrance, it was quite a task to walk on the coating of silt. But trotting slowly we made that 800 meters. Then upon arrival, we could only see the cave's formations without chances of doing recording. Something that I normally would not miss. That is the main reason that I am going back in mid-march with some sort of flash to assist in harvesting some pictures.

There are 2 notable caves in Bantimurung National Park. Gua Batu and Gua Mimpi. Not many local residents in Makasaar had got drag into this hobby of exploring caves or photographing caves scene. So little is knwon about these caves.

Then, the local visitor to the caves, were all attracted by a legend relating to the Love cave in Gua Mimpi. As the name shows "Cave of Dreams."
In this Gua Mimpi, there is small chamber also with a small stalactite. Following a passage to enter this chamber, one part of the passage way was low and virtually go on your knees to pass through. Visitors would come to this point to tie a string on it onto the this stalactites. Legend has it that the action could assist to reinforced their dreams. In that chamber, devotees should also wash your face with water dropping from the stalactite.

Gua Batu, on the other hand had a wooden plank walk to avoid having to step on pools of water on the cave floor. The passage was impressively 500 meters long, I also read that it could even be 800 meters. I must try to measure it. Whereas in Gua Mimipi, have to use caution walking in the floor itself.

There were vendors renting out torch lights at Rp10 per piece. Or hurricane oil lamp which has better coverage at Rp 50 per piece.
I will be planning to get some pictures of the cave in my next trip

• Written Jan 15, 2011

Comments

wondersF

“let us all be children of the world”

Ranked Member

Have you been to Makassar?