"A non-Asian foreigner staying..." Vietnam Warnings Or Dangers Tip by BorderHopper

Vietnam Warnings and Dangers: 130 reviews and 74 photos

A non-Asian foreigner staying with a Vietnamese family overnight can cause major problems with the local government. I speak from experience. It was my first night in Vietnam and I had travelled with my girlfriend to the home of her grandmother. I obviously stood out like a sore thumb...enough so to get the attention of a communist party official who was in charge of the district of Go Vap. This official paid us a visit and had a long talk with the grandmother who practically pleaded with this man to allow me to stay with them. Needless to say he refused and he warned the family that if I saty with them they will be fined $2000 usd a night. This is no exageration and I was in shock. They said it was for the protection of foreigners but in reality it was an attempt to keep all foreigners in government sactioned hotels and guesthouses. In the populated areas of Saigon this may not be a problem but in the outlying areas or villages just be warned that you may cause problems by staying overnight with a Vietnamese family. Though my girlfriend carried an American passport and is a citizen of the US they had no problem with her staying with the family...just me...go figure!

• Updated Aug 25, 2002

More Warnings and Dangers in Vietnam (1)

Comments

BorderHopper

“"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness.”

Have you been to Vietnam?