"A place to cool off" Vietnam Favorite Tip by BorderHopper

Vietnam General: 301 reviews and 296 photos

Fondest memory: I have many fond memories of Vietnam and Saigon in particular. One that stands out is my time spent atop the Rex Hotel in District 1. Now people don't go to Vietnam to hang out at 4 star hotels with other tourists...my destination was the pool!
Actually we were kind of sneaky when it came to our visit of the semi-famed Rex hotel in central Saigon. It is almost always hot and humid in Ho Chi Minh City (I'll call it Saigon here) and we decided to act like guests and make our way to the rooftop pool. No questions were ever asked. We just asked the employee for a towel and took our spot in one of the many poolside lounge chairs. If you want to escape the heat and chaos of the city below just head to the Rex Hotel pool at 14 Nguyen Hue Blvd. District 1. Afterwards have a drink at the rooftop bar with nice views of the city. The Rex has a bit of history too. It was where all the journalists and officers hung out during the Vietnam/American war. This may not be my fondest memory but at least it's a memory!

• Updated Aug 25, 2002

Comments

BorderHopper

“"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness.”

Have you been to Vietnam?