"Passions of Paradise: Sail the GBR!" Cairns Things to Do Tip by Gypsygirl05

Cairns Things to Do: 365 reviews and 827 photos

The turtle we dove with
      The turtle we dove with
    by Gypsygirl05
      The sand island you can visit
    by Gypsygirl05

Passions of Paradise was the first dive charter I took out of Cairns, and it was the best. The ship is a catamaran with a huge sail on it, and the locations were unparalleled. There were probably 100 people on our tour, but the extremely friendly staff made it a very personal experience. I both SCUBA dove and snorkeled. I hadn't SCUBAed in over two years, so I was a little nervous, but everyone made sure I was well-equipped and okay to go in the water both times I went. One dive I went with a group, and the guide showed us a lot of things I would have missed on my own. Snorkeling was no less fantastic, because the dive sites had many shallow coral plateaus where you could see everything without much effort.

There is a resident sea turtle that hangs out at Paradise's docking spots, and it swam with us for awhile. It was an exhilarating experience! We also dove a 20 meter coral wall with feather stars, soft corals, and a mind-boggling array of fish. Passions of Paradise has a glass-bottomed boat that allows patrons to see the coral without getting wet, and they also offer an "introductory dive" experience for those who don't have a SCUBA license. One of the stops is located near a low sand island, and visitors can get a short boat ride over.

If the wind is favorable, the sail can be deployed and the engines turned off. Sailing on the Great Barrier Reef is a beautiful, silent way to enjoy the world's largest living organism.

Website: http://www.passions.com.au/

• Written Jan 10, 2011

Gypsygirl05 Used To Live Here!

“Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”

Have you been to Cairns?