"Add a little bit of Estonia to your Christmas!" Top 5 Page for this destination Christmas Market Tip by CatherineReichardt

Christmas Market, Tallinn: 3 reviews and 4 photos

Estonian Christmas decorations
by CatherineReichardt

Christmas Market in the main square

What to buy: We love markets and enjoy collecting crafts on our travels, but face the perennial problem of where to put it all without transforming the house into a curio store. So, for what it's worth, this is my solution ...

Our Christmas tree has always been the focal point of our family - my German grandmother was the first person to have a Christmas tree in my Dad's home village in Ireland back in the 1930s, and some of my most prized possessions are a few of her homemade ornaments which I religiously place in pride of place on my tree each year. When I left home, my own mother gave me a 'starter pack' of decorations from our childhood tree to start my own (a tradition that I will continue with my own kids) and I have been collecting ever since!

Everywhere we go, we buy something for our tree - we're not purists, so it doesn't necessarily need to be colour coordinated or even Christmas themed (there are, for example, balsa wood humming birds from Peru, a wooden orang utan from Borneo and pottery figures from the Czech Republic), but when we put up our tree, it is a very special ritual that celebrates our family identity (of which travel is a huge part!). Should you wish to take a peak at some of the components of this eclectic mix, have a look at the travelogue on my personal profile page.

The photo details our 'haul' from our recent tip to Tallinn. We loved the knitwear (see my travel tip) and fell in love with the painted wooden ornaments. I am quite sure that a (suspiciously friendly-looking) Viking is not conventional Christmas-tree fare, but it's OUR tree, so who cares!

Coming from Britain, I am used to the robin being the 'Christmas bird' (well, other than turkey, but that's another issue). Yet all the bird-related ornaments we saw in Estonia featured the bullfinch (also red breasted, but somewhat bigger) - perhaps someone can illuminate me as to why this might be? Do robins not occur that far north, or does the bullfinch have some particular cultural significance?

Address: Raekoja Plats - Town Hall Square
Directions: In the heart of the Old Town
Theme: Local Craft

• Updated Oct 27, 2011

Comments

CatherineReichardt

“Never go the same way twice!”

Have you been to Tallinn?