"Dress for heat and comfort" Top 5 Page for this destination Parque Nacional Tikal Packing List Tip by toonsarah

Parque Nacional Tikal What to Pack: 5 reviews and 8 photos

I took my hat off for the photo!
by toonsarah

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: It can get pretty hot in the middle part of the day here, so light clothing is best. If you’re going to be in the park for either sunrise or sunset consider wearing long sleeves as there are plenty of mosquitoes wanting to take a bite out of you! You’ll need comfortable walking shoes, preferably with reasonable grip on the soles for climbing, and a hat is essential when you’re in exposed places such as the Grand Plaza or tops of the temples.

Miscellaneous: At any time of day you need to use insect repellent – the only bite I got here was right at the start of our walk when I hadn’t applied it generously enough. And you’ll need suntan lotion for exposed places – see above. Carry plenty of water, although you can buy some in a few places in the park, e.g. at the foot of Temple IV and near the Grand Plaza.

And make sure your camera has plenty of memory (or film), and spare batteries – you are bound to take lots of photos here!

• Written Jan 5, 2011

Comments

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Have you been to Parque Nacional Tikal?