"The Grand Plaza" Top 5 Page for this destination Parque Nacional Tikal Things to Do Tip by toonsarah

Parque Nacional Tikal Things to Do: 178 reviews and 340 photos

Temple I and the Grand Plaza

Temple I and the Grand Plaza
      Oscillated turkey in the Grand Plaza
    by toonsarah

All the temples of Tikal were built to face towards each other, and that is most evident here at the Grand Plaza, where Temples II and I face each other across its expanse. They fill its shorter sides (Temple II to the west, Temple I to the east), while the longer ones are occupied by, on the north, the extensive ruins of the North Acropolis, and on the south the Central Acropolis and a small ball court. At the centre of the Plaza is a stone hollow for sacrifices, and dotted all around are numerous stelae and altars.

The Plaza was carefully designed to provide great acoustics, so that priests on the temples could easily be heard by all the people on the ground below. Miguel took us to its centre and clapped his hands so that we could hear the resulting echo, part of the amplification effects.

It was very hot when we were here and the ruins are exposed, so you?ll be glad of your hat and a bottle of water. There are some welcome benches on the side below the Central Acropolis, shaded by trees ? a lovely vantage point from which to take in the scene, including the oscillated turkeys that parade here hoping for scraps from tourists (don?t feed them however).

Directions: At the heart of Tikal

• Written Jan 5, 2011

Comments

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust (Joni Mitchell, "Amelia")”

Have you been to Parque Nacional Tikal?