"Indulge your inner child at the puppet theatre!" Top 5 Page for this destination Puppet Theatre & Museum - NUKU Tip by CatherineReichardt

Ferdinand Veike, NUKU puppet theatre
by CatherineReichardt

Having just written up my tips on the Museum of Occupation and the Estonian Parliament building, I am cynically tempted to suggest that the 'puppet theatre' might have aptly described the Estonian parliament under Soviet rule, but I am determined to shrug off the gloom of the previous subject matter and write about something altogether more cheerful!

Puppetry appears to play a prominent role in Estonian culture, and it was therefore a little surprising that the NUKU puppet theatre and museum is very new, having only opened in March 2010 (other references say that the theatre has been going since 1952, presumably on another site?).

Unfortunately we didn't have the time to go in, but all the reviews I have read of the performances are glowing, and many comment that they are as enjoyable for adults as for children. In addition to the puppet theatre, there is a museum housing all sorts of puppet-related memorabilia, which sounds fun.

I was captivated by this stunning sculpture outside the entrance: Tallinn features a number of these sculptures which protrude out of the wall, and the effect is impressive. This particular chap is Ferdinand Veike, the founder of the Estonian State Puppet Theatre: in 2009, he was still going at the age of 85, as was his puppet Buratino (a sprightly 55)! The expression on the puppeteer's face is so gentle, and you can just imagine him holding an audience of children in his thrall!

When (and not if) we return to Tallinn with our children, this is top of our list!

Address: Lai 1, Tallinn old town
Website: http://www.nuku.ee

• Updated Feb 11, 2012

Comments

CatherineReichardt

“Never go the same way twice!”

Have you been to Tallinn?