"Your Mum was right: you must wear sensible shoes!" Top 5 Page for this destination Walk Hazards Tip by CatherineReichardt

Walk Hazards, Tallinn: 9 reviews and 14 photos

Child transport - Tallinn style!
by CatherineReichardt

We visited Tallinn in mid December, after they had already experienced heavy snow and the pavements were treacherous. Of course, the snow itself isn't the problem, but once it has been compressed, partially melted and refrozen, it solidifies into sheet ice which is like glass underfoot (and difficult to identify in poor light).

We wore walking boots with good tread, but still had trouble keeping our footing in places and I took a few inelegant tumbles over the weekend. The old cobbled streets don't tend to be so slippery, but despite the best efforts of the authorities (and, to their credit, there were guys clearing snow even on a Sunday), pavements along the main streets were like a skating rink. In fact, the conditions were so dangerous that I can only imagine that hundreds of old people are admitted to hospital each winter with broken limbs and hips as a result of falls, and I would caution anyone elderly or with mobility problems from visiting over the winter period for this reason.

Of course, there is always a silver lining, and the advantage for parents is that instead of manhandling push chairs through the snow, they can tow their kids around on sleds! I tend to associate sleds with leisure activity, but of course this is only their modern incarnation, and it was only when I saw families towing their offspring that I remembered that their original purpose was for transporting people and goods. The kids were bundled up against the cold in layer upon layer of warm clothing like little rosy-cheeked Buddhas and appeared to be having a fine time!

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Oct 27, 2011

“Never go the same way twice!”

Have you been to Tallinn?