"Acropolis" Acropolis Tip by iaint

as seen from the Panathenaic Stadium

as seen from the Panathenaic Stadium
      the way it looks from Filipappos Hill
    by iaint
      Herodes Atticus Theatre (161 AD)
    by iaint

For those who don?t know, the Acropolis is the hill on which the Parthenon sits. The two are almost synonymous, and until my visit I didn?t realise how much more there is to the site.

This tip is just really a taster, and I?ve done a travelogue for things like the Parthenon which (to me) seem like they justify it.

So the Parthenon, the Dionysus Theatre, the Erechtheion and the Propylaia/Temple of Nike are all mentioned in the travelogue.

You buy a composite ticket which covers all parts of the Acropolis as well as other sites (such as the Agora). Costs ?12 and lasts for 4 days. It does not cover entry to the new Acropolis Museum.

I was there in late December, so the heat was not a problem. I still got sweaty walking up (even at 9am) so I can?t imagine what it would be like in midsummer.

All advice is to go early, before the tour groups get into full swing. I?m not sure if I got my timing right, or if it?s just that a Thursday morning 2 days before Christmas is total off season, but it was fine.

Address: central Athens
Directions: Take the metro to Acropolis station
Website: http://www.culture.gr

• Updated Jan 1, 2011

Comments

iaint

“A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ”

Have you been to Athens?