"Favourite European Churches-The Dom Trier, Germany" Top 5 Page for this destination Europe Things to Do Tip by Maryimelda

Europe Things to Do: 1,313 reviews and 2,177 photos

This is one of those famous Trier landmarks which needs no more historical facts given than have already been done. It is a gobsmacking building especially on the outside. It is a wonderful photo subject which made me wish that I was a good photographer. Happily however, I can report that I have taken far worse pics than these in my time. Maybe that's because the subject is just so grand, it's hard to get it wrong. For someone like me sadly, it takes 5 pics to get the front of it all in (well nearly all in)!

I was most fortunate to walk into the cathedral during choir practise so I felt particularly honoured. Like all European cathedrals, it is just beautiful and I was in total awe as I wandered around it at length. Standing in front of the vault where the Holy Robe is housed was particularly inspirational.

For 1.50 euro, you can see some of the most astonishing sacred vessels and church treasures in Germany. Centrepiece is the Altar of St Andrew topped with a huge golden foot. Here too, is displayed what is thought to be one of the nails of the crucifixion of Christ. Unfortunately my photo of the Holy Nail was accidentally deleted much to my horror, but then never mind, I'll just have to go back and get another .

Directions: Yeah, like I need to tell you. If you can't find this, you might as well go home because you must be missing all sorts of good stuff.

• Updated Dec 26, 2010

Maryimelda Visits Here Frequently!

“You can't solve a problem with the same mind that created it.”

Have you been to Europe?