"can't take the zoo out of the boy" Top 5 Page for this destination Cali Favorite Tip by richiecdisc

Cali Favorites: 11 reviews and 9 photos

who's watching who at Cali Zoo?
by richiecdisc

Fondest memory: But these kids were different, somehow cuter. The truth of the matter is, they are a bit better behaved than their North American counterparts too. Another thing I guess that enamored us with them was their fascination with us. I guess they don't get so many gringos at the Cali Zoo and these youngsters were getting as much of a kick out of watching us they were of seeing all the animals. My wife, being quite blond with blue eyes, was particularly intriguing for them. Since we were obviously English-speaking they liked using what English they knew on us and the whole scene was very entertaining, not only for them but us as well.

Oddly enough, I didn't get one photo of any of these very cute kids. It's not like I didn't have my chances. They would have gladly posed and I had a huge zoom lens that I was using to take shots of the animals. No one would have known for the better had my lens deviated from a furry creature to a laughing lad or lass. Oh, I did get some incredible photos of the animals. In fact, I 'll have a tough time getting better shots of lions if I do a safari in Kenya but as good as they all are, I always think of the kids when I look at them. The most interesting species of all escaped my lens, and they were in their natural element too and me ranting about nature and the unnaturalness of such animal enclosures. I guess you can take the boy out of the zoo but you can't take the zoo out of the boy.

• Written Dec 24, 2010

Comments

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Have you been to Cali?