"A very fine old pub." Ye Olde Starre Inne Tip by planxty

Ye Olde Starre Inne, York: 1 reviews and 2 photos

Olde Starre Inn, York, UK.
by planxty

Olde Starre Inn, York, UK.
    by planxty
      Fire, Olde Starre Inn, York, UK.
    by planxty

Regular readers of my pages will know that it wouldn't be a planxty page about a town or city without a tip for at least one bar, so here is my tip for York and it is an absolute beauty.

The Olde Starre Inn in Stonegate is reputedly the oldest pub in York, dating from 1644. To put this in context, the English Civil War was still going on. There was a bit of a refurbishment in the 1980's although the place retains it's "olde worlde" charm. My favourite room is the little room to the left of the door as you go in, a sort of Victorian snug, complete with open fire which was most welcome on a dismal November Yorkshire day.

Although I didn't eat when I visited, there is a good selection of reasonably priced "pub grub" and the offering the young family sitting adjacent were served looked very good.

I know from previous experience that this place can get very lively, especially in the evening and absolutely manic on the regular "open mic" music nights. I had the pleasure of performing here with my band during a tour of nearby Pocklington in 2009, it was a great night and a very good standard of music.

Address: 40 Stonegate, York, Yorkshire, YO1 8AS.
Phone: +00 44 (0)1904 623063
Website: http://www.taylor-walker.co.uk/pub/ye-olde-starre-inne-york/c1731/

• Written Dec 22, 2010

Comments

planxty

“I have declared myself an unsafe building!”

Have you been to York?