Café Condessa: "Popular for lunch" Top 5 Page for this destination Antigua Guatemala Restaurant Tip by toonsarah

Antigua Guatemala Restaurants: 102 reviews and 127 photos

Spinach salad
      Spinach salad
      Turkey mayo sandwich
    by toonsarah

This is a busy café on the west side of the Parque Central, opposite the cathedral. To get to it you must walk through the great little bookshop of the same name, and past a tour agency desk and a small courtyard. There are a few tables along the far side of that courtyard, which is where we sat, and a large room beyond with many more. It seemed popular with locals out shopping for the day as well as with tourists ? usually a good sign.

Next door there is a small counter service coffee bar but we never visited here, preferring the more relaxed atmosphere of the nearby El Portal (see next tip).

Favorite Dish: I ordered a fresh orange juice, which when it came tasted suspiciously like squash. The waitress insisted it was fresh, but willingly changed it for a Gallo. I had a spinach salad to eat ? the leaves were young and tender, and the dressing and lardons very good, although the croutons were a little too crunchy for my taste. Incidentally all salad vegetables here come from their own farm and are guaranteed washed in pure water, so you needn?t worry about eating them. Chris drank a Moza beer to accompany his turkey salad sandwich. The bill was a fairly reasonable 127 Q (without service).

The main downside was the constant noise of hammering above our heads ? there was clearly building work going on somewhere above us. It somewhat spoilt the restful atmosphere of the courtyard, and was even more of a problem for the two women sitting across from us who found that plaster dust was dropping into their food and drinks. There were no free tables to which they could be moved, and although staff helpfully pulled theirs away from the wall a little, from what I could see the problem continued and they cut short their lunch. You might want to check that the work is finished if you go there in the near future (we were there in November 2010) and if not ask for a table in the room at the back.

Address: 5a Avenida Norte #4
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: West side of Parque Central, facing the cathedral
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 3
Theme: Local

• Updated Dec 11, 2010

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust (Joni Mitchell, "Amelia")”

Have you been to Antigua Guatemala?