Frida's: "Great Mexican food, great atmosphere" Top 5 Page for this destination Frida's Tip by toonsarah

Frida's, Antigua Guatemala: 5 reviews and 11 photos

Cocktail at Frida's
      Cocktail at Frida's
      Chris in Frida's
    by toonsarah
      Chicken enchilada in molé sauce
    by toonsarah

We had read good reviews of Frida?s on both VT and elsewhere and as it was just up the road from our hotel we were keen to try it for ourselves ? and we were not disappointed. Frida?s is a Mexican restaurant themed around the life and work of Frida Kahlo, although the décor is such an eclectic mix that the theme is lost in places. On entering the restaurant looks pretty small but it widens out so there?s more room than you might think; nevertheless this is a popular spot so come early to be sure of getting a table, or be prepared to have a drink at the small bar while you wait (no great hardship ? the cocktails are good and reasonably priced, and the beer is well chilled).

Favorite Dish: We ordered chips and guacamole to share as an appetiser. The portion was generous and the guacamole chunky and evidently home-made ? delicious! I accompanied this with an excellent Cosmopolitan while Chris had a cool Gallo.

For mains I chose the chicken enchilada in molé sauce, as I had never had the latter. It was tasty but very filling! Chris had quesadillas which he enjoyed ? indeed he said later that this was the best meal he had in Guatemala! With another couple of Gallos (one each) the bill came to 260 Q with service, which we felt was very reasonable.

Address: 5a Avenida Norte #29
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Walk north on 5a Avenida Norte from the Parque Central, under the Arco de Santa Catalina, and you?ll see Frida?s on the right hand side of the street
Phone: 832-0504
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 4
Theme: Mexican

• Updated Dec 11, 2010

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust (Joni Mitchell, "Amelia")”

Have you been to Antigua Guatemala?