"Border crossing at Aguas Verdes" Peru Warnings Or Dangers Tip by Splint

Peru Warnings and Dangers: 149 reviews and 96 photos

More of anannoyance than a danger is the young guy who bailed me up when I got out of the bus to walk over to the immigration office at the border.

He asked to see my passport then told me to come with him. He started filling out an immigration form and I asked him why he was doing that. I asked him three times if he expected money from me and he kept avoiding the question. He then brought me to a cambio to change my money into us dollars, no doubt he would receive a commission for this.

The cambio pointed out to me that my 100paso note was a fake (theres quiet a bit of counterfeit money, coins and notes circulating in South America). The young guy insisted I report it to the police and told me I could be locked up for possessing fake money. The policeman in the back of the immigration office had a close look at it and confirmed it was fake which didn't surprise me as it came from a very questionable source (more on that later).

I suspected that if I handed the money over to the police it would find it's way back to thecambio and into the hands of an unsuspecting gringo, so I took the money out of the policemans hand, tore it up into about ten prices handed it back and walked back toward immigration. The young guy thendemanded 10 pasos for his services, I very firmly told him I was not paying then told him to @$&" off an walked away.

He did keep the form but as it turned out the form he filled out was an entry form for Peru, I was exiting.

Just be cautious of anyone like this and don't pay for a service you didn't ask for.

• Written Dec 6, 2010