"We do believe that trolls exist!" Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Local Custom Tip by Regina1965

Iceland Local Customs: 183 reviews and 248 photos

A troll in Iceland and I.
by Regina1965
      A troll in Iceland and I.
  • Trolls in Hljóðaklettar, North-Iceland. - Reykjavík
      Trolls in Hljóđaklettar, North-Iceland.
      The masts of the ship by Vík, South-Iceland
  • Bárður Snæfellsás was a giant (see my tip). - Reykjavík
      Bárđur Snćfellsás was a giant (see my tip).
      A troll in Eden.
    by Regina1965

We Icelanders not only believe in the existance of elves, we also believe in trolls. But that is a different kind of belief. Because we know that the elves are alive now, but the trolls we know of are all petrified as they didn't make it home before sunrise. So they are kind of in the past, Icelanders don't think they will encounter a big troll while travelling in Iceland - just the petrified ones. But there are so many tales in Iceland of encounters with the trolls - maybe they are still alive?

There are petrified trolls all around Iceland. I add photos of some of these spots. My second photo is of a man and a woman troll and their cave in Hljóđaklettar "Ecko rocks" in North-Iceland. They were so close to the cave when the sun rose and got petrified almost by the entrance to the cave. In this particular spot in North-Iceland there are many trolls like these.

My third photo is of another known troll-spot is Reynisdrangar, by Vík in South-Iceland. It is believed that Reynisdrangar were formed when two trolls were dragging a three-masted ship to land. When daylight broke they turned to stone. The 3 rocks are the masts of the ship and the highest one is 66 metre's high. The names of the masts are Langsamur, Landdrangur og Háidrangur (Skessudrangur).

There are many other petrified trolls in Iceland and you can see some of their their images in the mountains, but that is where they live.

Did I mention that these trolls like to eat humans? And they run if they hear the chime of a church-bell. There are some tales of friendly trolls, who helped the farmers, if the farmers were kind to them.

I remember one spot in Ţingvellir, our national park. My grandparents owned a summer cottage there and when we passed a certain mountain they would always say: "Truntum runtum og tröllin í fjöllunum" scaring the hell out of their grandchildren ;) This particular sentence is a sentence from a troll-tale.

The Icelandic word for a troll is tröll.

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Nov 29, 2010

Regina1965 Lives Here!

“Bon Voyage :)”

Have you been to Iceland?