"A good enough experience!" Experience Music Project - EMP Tip by Jefie

Guitars smashed by Jimi Hendrix at EMP

Guitars smashed by Jimi Hendrix at EMP
      Trimpin's "IF VI WAS IX" instrument sculpture
    by Jefie
      Fender Stratocaster used to record "Louie, Louie"
      Inside Frank Ghery's EMP building
      EMP with the Space Needle in the background
    by Jefie

I'd read a lot of negative reviews about the Experience Music Project (EMP), but since my teenage years were spent listening to Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains, I just had to see what this museum had to offer. In the end, I thought it was fairly interesting. They probably could have done a lot more with it, so I understand how people might be disappointed, but there was enough to keep us busy for a few hours - and the fact that it allowed us to stay warm and dry was just a bonus!

The "Northwest Passage" permanent exhibit was the most interesting part of the museum for me, I'd never realized that so many bands came from Seattle and that the city had been a music hotbed for so long. The guitar gallery was also pretty cool since it allowed us to see the evolution of the instrument from its humble beginnings to the craziest electric guitars ever designed. We also enjoyed visiting the Jimi Hendrix gallery, which featured fragments of some of the guitars he smashed and paper sheets with hand-written lyrics on them, among other things. Oh, and we also had fun in the section upstairs that teaches you how to play real instruments!

Before leaving we took a quick look at the Science Fiction Museum, which is included in the price of admission. I'm not a big Sci-Fi fan so I didn't find that part very interesting, but there were some cool props from Sci-Fi movies. But I guess even if you don't plan on visiting EMP, it's still worth making the short trip to Seattle Center if only to see the completely over-the-top building designed by architect Frank Ghery. Some say it's made to look like a smashed guitar and that the colour theme was inspired by Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze" - whatever his inspiration was, the result is truly rock n' roll!

EMP is open daily from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm and tickets cost $15.

Address: 325 5th Avenue North
Directions: Seattle Center, right next to the Space Needle.
Phone: 206-770-2700
Website: http://www.empsfm.org

• Updated Nov 11, 2010

Comments

Jefie

“"Travel is fatal to narrow-mindedness"”

Have you been to Seattle?