Jumbo: "All-you-can-eat Chinese buffet" Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Restaurant Tip by SWFC_Fan

Sheffield Restaurants: 70 reviews and 194 photos

Jumbo Chinese Buffet, Sheffield
by SWFC_Fan

Jumbo is an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet in Sheffield city centre. It is located on George Street, just off Arundel Gate and close to the Best Western Cutlers hotel. It is just a few minutes walk from the Winter Garden, the Lyceum and Crucible theatres and, in the other direction, the O2 Academy. The closest tram stop is Castle Square, just a couple of minutes walk away.

Jumbo is a long established restaurant. Several years ago, I used to eat there quite frequently. However, I hadn't visited for a few years prior to my girlfriend and I eating there one Saturday evening in September 2010.

We were both very hungry and the Saturday Grand Buffet @ 9.99 sounded like a good value way of satisfying our hunger. I was in need of a hearty 3 course meal and, particularly as it was a Saturday evening and we hadn't booked anywhere, it would have been difficult to find such a meal anywhere else for under 10. The good thing about Jumbo was that we could just turn up and eat to our heart's content without worrying about the cost. In fact, the Saturday Grand Buffet is the most costly time to visit Jumbo, with even better value on offer during the rest of the week:

Lunch Buffet: Daily 12pm ? 4:30pm = 5.99
Happy Hour: Monday to Saturday 4:30pm ? 6:30pm = 7.99
Grand Buffet: Monday to Friday: 6:30pm ? 11pm = 8.99 / Saturday 6:30pm ? 11pm = 9.99
Sundays: 12pm ? 4:30pm = 5.99 / 4:30pm ? 11pm = 7.99

One thing that had changed since my last visit was that you now have to pay your bill in advance. A notice at the entrance apologised for this, but explained that it was due to a high incidence of people running out without paying.

When we arrived, it was probably about full. That was a good thing in so far as we didn't have to wait for a table or queue at the buffet. However, it also meant that the food wasn't being replenished so often, so some of the dishes had clearly been sitting there for some time.

Having eaten in numerous restaurants around Sheffield in recent months, we did notice the quality of food was not as good ? but we expected that. We knew that the food wouldn't be of an outstanding quality, but there'd be plenty of choice and it'd be perfectly edible ? just what we were looking for on this occasion.

The food on offer is very much a Westernised version of Chinese cuisine. The selection of starters and appetizers includes hot and sour soup, chicken and sweetcorn soup, prawn toasts, crispy wantons, vegetable spring rolls, crab claws, seaweed, chicken wings, barbecue spare ribs, samosas, prawn crackers, onion rings and salad items. This being an all-you-can-eat restaurant, my plate contained most of these items!

Unlike the lunchtime buffets, the Saturday Grand Buffet includes crispy duck with pancakes and hoisin sauce.

Similarly, the Grand Buffet includes a greater choice of main courses and features dishes containing king prawns and oysters which you won't find on the lunchtime buffets. On this occasion, I particularly enjoyed a couple of king prawn dishes, especially one that contained a hot chilli sauce.

Other options included a variety of chicken, beef, pork and duck dishes (for example in Szechuan, sweet and sour, lemon and Peking sauces), three different types of noodles, egg fried rice, chips, various stir fried vegetables and banana fritters.

There is a fairly extensive choice of desserts, including ice cream, chocolate brownies, cakes, biscuits, pancakes with syrup and fresh fruit. Again, I opted for an extensive and varied dessert ? a few cakes and biscuits, a dish of ice cream, offset by a dish of fruit (melon, oranges, kiwi, grapes and apple).

There are a number of other Chinese buffet restaurants in Sheffield and I would comment on them, in relation to Jumbo, as follows:

Wong Ting ? unlike at Jumbo, the food is ordered from a menu and delivered to your table. The dishes you receive are therefore freshly cooked and haven't been mauled over by other diners. I would say that the food is better quality than at Jumbo and that there is a more extensive choice and the cuisine is more authentic. However, it is also more expensive than at Jumbo: 14.95 per person.

No. 1 Oriental Buffet ? a larger restaurant than Jumbo, but offering similar quality food at similar prices. The one thing that distinguishes No. 1 from Jumbo is that it has a separate room where diners can pay a little extra (12.90) for the Hot Pot Buffet, allowing them to cook their own food in a hot pot on their table. This is what we opted to do on our last visit. The price included the standard all-you-can-eat buffet as well as the hot pot. The hot pot was split in two so that I could cook my seafood in a hot chilli sauce, while Emma could cook her meat and vegetables in something less spicy.

Flaming Dragon ? a large buffet restaurant located at Centertainment, close to Meadowhall shopping centre, a few miles outside of the city centre. It is a few pounds more expensive than Jumbo (for example, the Friday and Saturday evening buffets cost 12.50 per person), but the quality and choice is much better in my opinion. As well as the standard Chinese fare offered at Jumbo, you'll also find Indian, Thai and Japanese (including sushi) at Flaming Dragon. Furthermore, the evening buffets include a Teppanyaki station where your own creation can be cooked in front of your eyes and a Brazilian BBQ carvery (with waiters bringing around various cuts of meat, sausages and burgers).

Overall, Jumbo remains a reliable place to eat lots of reasonable quality Chinese food at great value prices. Don't expect outstanding quality, and you won't be disappointed. We'll certainly be eating there again plenty of times in future.

Address: 43 George Street, Sheffield S1 2PF
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Located within a couple of minutes walk of the Crucible and Lyceum theatres, the O2 Academy and the Castle Square Supertram stop.
Phone: 0114 2756044
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 3
Theme: Chinese/Dim Sum

• Updated Oct 30, 2010

Comments

SWFC_Fan

“Next stops: Chile (November), Cluj-Napoca (December)”

Have you been to Sheffield?