"Summer School" Waterville Favorite Tip by grandmaR

Me (on left) and my roomate in 1956
      My mother and me on the dorm steps 1956
      Dorms at Colby
    by grandmaR
      another photo of the dorms
      Lorimer Chapel
    by grandmaR

Favorite thing: Since I flunked French in college (not really my fault - I did so well on the placement exam that I was put into Advanced French even though I had only one year of high school French), and I didn't want to retake French, I decided to go to summer school to take care of those credit requirements. I picked Colby to attend.

I found that other than my roommate who was also just finished her Freshman year, most of the girls in our dorm were high school students from NYC.

There was a small kitchen in our dorm but there were no utensils - not even ice cube trays. I smuggled items (like ice cube trays) from other areas by suspending them under my skirt. We also bought a brownie mix which came with a pan and baked it in the oven using cold cream to grease the pan since we did not have butter.

Fondest memory: One of the things I managed to do was to persuade the janitor in the chapel to let me in to play the organ. That was a peaceful way to spend an afternoon of my free time.

According the current Colby website:

Lorimer Chapel (photo 5) seats more than 500 and is a popular venue for lectures and concerts as well as religious services. It houses the offices for the Catholic, Jewish, and Protestant chaplains as well as the intimate Rose Chapel. The Nickerson Carillon tolls the hour from the chapel tower. Lorimer was the first building constructed (in 1937) when Colby moved from its old downtown location to the Mayflower Hill campus.

• Updated Oct 29, 2010

Comments

grandmaR Used To Live Here!

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Have you been to Waterville?