"Luggage "carriers" inflation at Milano C.le" Milan Tourist Trap Tip by Eleonorita

Milan Tourist Traps: 63 reviews and 30 photos

I travel every year with my father to several locations in Italy, and Milano seems to have one of the most difficult to navigate train stations.

My dad doesn't feel like carrying luggage to get to the street (knee problem), so we always "hire" the services of these people, usually Romanian, Northern African, an lately, Subsaharian. Three or four years ago, they'd help you happily for a 3 euro tip. A 5 euro note would deserve a grateful thank and you could even "book" their services for your departure.
Two weeks ago, we were asked for 5 euros for each piece of luggage, once we had arrived to the taxi. We ended up giving 7 euros (no big deal, the taxi driver had already opened the trunk and there were people around, so no chance of any dishonest attempt, but a big scam for carrying luggage in an old trolley). This work seems to be "authorized" by the authorities, since the station if full of these people.
No picture in this post, I registered ten minutes ago!

Unique Suggestions: -Try to carry your luggage yourself. I can never convince my father, but I think that they take advantage of tired travellers and old people by means of high fares.
- Do yourself and fellow travellers a favour and write a note suggesting trolleys for passengers. One day, they will finally decide to put trolleys again.
- Ask for the fare beforehand: Quanto viene per tutto? If he says "5", confirm with your fingers and emphasize "cinque per tutto". (avoid the confusion of 5 each). If you are not convinced, just leave, and they'll follow you with a better offer.
-I believe that some of these people are honest and try to make a living, besides their inflated fares. Still, never allow them to carry handbags with money or valuables, just in case. And follow them closely.

• Updated Oct 23, 2010

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.