"Got Children? Don't book here." Novotel Brighton Beach Sydney Tip by dismayedagain

Novotel Brighton Beach Sydney, Sydney: 1,237 reviews and 10 photos

22th Oct. 2010. We picked this hotel for a special treat of a trip away from Canberra because it had a swimming pool as our children (aged 4 & 6) love swimming. We were in for a BIG disappointment.
Our children were not allowed in the indoor swimming pool because there were swimming lessons being held there - for children. So, we were told in very poor English by a patronising spa worker there, that only adults were allowed to swim there. So, we went to the outdoor pool which we discovered was unheated and positively freezing. Our children lasted 4 mins and we took them out as their lips had turned blue.
We enquired about swimming first thing in the morning in the warm indoor pool - it opens as late as 08:00 a.m.on a Saturday and still no children allowed.
So, if you are thinking of taking your children here then I would forego this hotel.
I have travelled worldwide consistently for the past 20 years and these were the worst beds and bedrooms I have had the misfortune to have to put up with.
The beds literally dipped down from the edges! And that's without having sat on them. They were so soft you could feel each spring through the mattress surface and the springs giving way.
The bottom sheets didn't fit the bed well and exposed the old and tired mattresses.
Much to my disgust the doona's did not have doona covers on them! Hygiene ...or what hygiene. The pillow were all of the rubber variety and hard and uncomfortable.
These extremely poor qualities applied to both double beds in our room.
The t.v. was a very old fashioned model, grimy and the remote control worked but the t.v. would only react to it intermittently. The carpet in the room was worn and ondulated and stained. Ugh. I really wouldn't recommend anyone go to this hotel, especially paying the rates Novotel are asking for.
The staff all looked tired, sweaty and never offered a smile in any of the dept. / areas of the hotel. On the surface this hotel looks good, but the swimming pool policies, beds, t.vs., bedrooms and staff were really below par. I would rate this a 2 star hotel.

Unique Qualities: Only redeeming quality about this hotel is location opposite the beach.
A lot of businesses have closed down around the hotel so don't expect to go on interesting shopping or cafe wanders.

Address: Corner Grand Parade and Princess Street, Sydney, New South Wales, 2216, Australia
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Phone: 61 2 95565111