"Sandton Square - much ado about nothing" Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Tourist Trap Tip by CatherineReichardt
Johannesburg Tourist Traps: 12 reviews and 6 photos
Try as I might, I just can't see what's so special about Sandton Square. A collection of mismatched, nondescript architecture, a rather naff statue of Mandela dancing that doesn't look much like him and a host of overpriced restaurants packed with fellow tourists - really not worth the time and effort so far as I'm concerned. I suppose that it does have the virtue of being safe, but then so are so many other far more interesting entertainment venues - see my restaurant tips for some ideas.
By all means visit if you're staying in the Sandton area, or visiting the excellent, upmarket but surprisingly affordable Sandton shopping centre (which is next door to Sandton Square), but it's really not worth making a special trip for.
If you are going to eat here, I would suggest avoiding the overhyped and overpriced Butcher's Shop unless you're a carnivorous connaisseur - a much better option is the excellent Wang Thai.
More Reviews (209)
- See All Sheer unadulterated gastroporn!
- See All The best place to buy maps and travel...
- See All Jo'burg's all but forgotten Holocaust...
- See All Some tips on parking your car safely
- See All Buying diamonds in South Africa (or...
- See All Boutique hotel conveniently located in...
- See All Connect to the bus system at Gandhi...
- See All So, who was this Johannes bloke anyway?
- See All Bowl a maiden over at The Wanderers!
- See All Clubs in Johannesburg
- Randburg Waterfront now called...
Been to Johannesburg?Share your travels with the world!
CatherineReichardt's Related Pages
Have you been to Johannesburg?Share Your Travels