"Wandering The City #7 - Household Bundle" Walking Tip by johngayton

Walking, Berlin: 32 reviews and 87 photos

House Ball
by johngayton

I got a bit diverted from Wilhelmstrasse on my way to Checkpoint Charlie as there was an interesting looking combination of modern buildings on one of the side streets. I wandered under the archway and found this piece of art on a square overlooked by residential blocks. I couldn't find any attributional signage but took the pic anyway hoping to find out a bit more when I wrote this page.

I'm still none the wiser but I think it might just be a Korean "Bottari" - a cloth bundle used to transport housing goods.

If anyone can help with this I'd really appreciate it.

And the ever-helpful Leics came to the rescue.

I was along the right lines with my "household bundle" thinking. It is actually called "House Ball" and represents the arrival of the Bohemian (Czech) refugees who settled in this area in the 18th century. The location is on Bethlehemkircheplatz which was where the refugees built their Church of Bethlehem

The sculptors are Claes Oldenburg and Coesje van Bruggens and the prototype of the work was originally a performance piece which was rolled around Venice during a 1985 movable art show called "Il Corso del Coltello" ("The Course of the Knife").

Address: Bethlehemkircheplatz
Directions: Just off Liepziger Strasse.
Website: http://articles.latimes.com/1988-01-11/entertainment/ca-23426_1_claes-oldenburg

• Updated Oct 8, 2010

johngayton Visits Here Frequently!

“The slow lane often gets you there faster”

Have you been to Berlin?