"Budapest Transit System" Budapest Transportation Tip by azz8206

Budapest Transportation: 564 reviews and 611 photos

You have many options when buying tickets for the transit system in Budapest. Here are some prices and my thoughts on which are of better value.
Single tickets are 320HUF and good for only one trip. You must stamp the ticket when boarding a bus or tram and when entering a metro station.
Packs of 10 tickets are 2800HUF and each are good for only one trip. Again you must stamp the ticket when boarding a bus or tram and when entering a metro station.
I didn't like these options because as I wrote each ticket is only good for one trip. Not very much value for what you are paying for, imo.
A day ticket is 1550HUF and good for unlimited travel for 24 hours from the time of purchase. I purchased mine through a vendor and the time of purchase was written on the ticket so no need to stamp it.
I found the machines dispensing the tickets weren't very convenient or reliable so I purchased my tickets through a vendor.
I didn't feel the need to purchase a Budapest Card although some others might find it does have some value. It is 6300HUF for 48hrs and 7500HUF for 72 hours. You get two free walking tours with it and discounts to some restaurants, sites and museums.

Type: Subway/Metro
Website: http://www.bkv.hu/en/

• Updated Oct 6, 2010

More Transportation in Budapest (1)

“See the world with the one you love”

Have you been to Budapest?