"Wandering The City #1 - Mockernbrucke U-bahn Area" Walking Tip by johngayton

Mockernbrucke U-bahn
      Bridge Over The Landwerkanal
  • Technikmuseum - Berlin
    by johngayton

Berlin is physically quite a large city and the main sights, museums, galleries etc are spread all over the place. I suppose the easiest way to get a quick overview is to take one of the bus tours, or maybe the interesting-looking "Trabi Safari", but me I was in no rush and so did my usual random wandering.

My apartment was located close to the Adenhauerplatz U-bahn and from my map it looked as if Mockernbrucke U-bahn on line 7 would give me the easiest, and most direct, walkable access to Potsdamer Platz and Checkpoint Charlie which were sortof on my "list".

Mockernbrucke is one of the less attractive stations on the system, a 1960's Brutalist concrete monstrocity. It was also difficult to escape from as the "Ausgang" signage led me first down one escalator to the ground level and then up another elevator to a different platform - or maybe that was me just being a dumb-dumb.

On my second attempt I did manage to get out and found myself on the road which runs alongside the serene tree-lined 19th century Landwehrkanal, part of that period's water-born transport network.

Just down the road from the U-bahn is the Deutsches Technikmuseum which looks worth a visit but I shelved that for a later date. Across the road the canal bridge leads to a scruffy little park and the oddbod of a building which houses the Tempodrom concert and event venue.

Directions: Website below is for the Technikmuseum
Website: http://www.sdtb.de

• Updated Oct 6, 2010

johngayton Visits Here Frequently!

“The slow lane often gets you there faster”

Have you been to Berlin?