Konoba Matana in Pomena: "why not some pasta after long time?" Top 5 Page for this destination Mljet National Park Restaurant Tip by picek

Mljet National Park Restaurants: 3 reviews and 4 photos

plate full of cheese and spaghetti
by picek

There are few restaurants in Pomena but if you go before noon not all are serving lunch or breakfast yet and others remain closed before 12.
The one I speak off now was in beginning of Pomena and displayed menu by the road, promised organic food and it was open - I browsed vegetarian options which were reasonably priced but didn't feel like having 'cheese from oil' again - I had it almost every day and like it a lot, but it was time for change.

Plus we sat here alone by the terrace by the door, next to the road and it was great spot for watching people and activity on the road side and I would stop here even if I had only something to drink... yes, you quickly adapt to easy goingness of Mljet folk, you're not in hurry and share greetings with those few passer-by, didn't matter they were one of the inhabitants of visitors, anyone who felt similar way.

Staff by Matana was very friendly and helpful, plus they had lovely grand dog whom was laying next to us... on floor, which made us feel like at home. Other than restaurant they give appartments to rent (like almost everyone else in Pomena), we saw few young people came here to stay and were picked by landlord, and in general the place had cozy atmosphere altogether.

Favorite Dish: My 'breakfast' was spaghetti with sheep cheese. It is actually dish you would normally have it for lunch, but why not once strong breakfast... tomato sauce was thick and heavy, one of better ones I remember eating in restaurants recently (and I have to say I was often disappointed over eating out, and wonder why simple sauces must be those ground tomatos from can whcih all taste the same if they are really easy to make from fresh vegetables, couple of minutes work, really, and I can make very good tomato sauce myself... but on the seaside (not only Croatia, lets be fair) you'd get charged more or less 10 euro for that). Why I actually chosed the very simple pasta then? Well, I kinda loved the idea of sheep cheese with the regular sauce (after I though avoiding cheese, yes, I know...it's easy to change one's mind if eyes are hungry, haha). The cheese was actually nice, shredded and plenty: one plate and I didn't have to eat anything untill dinner.
I think I had to thank cheese plus pasta combination.

One more note: their portion was larger than by others, comparatively speaking so I think it's good value for money.

Other food they served: well, it's a seaside and you know what you get from the sea :)

Address: Pomena 10
Rating: 3
Theme: Other
Website: http://www.croatia-mljet-apartment.com

• Updated Oct 4, 2010

More Restaurants in Mljet National Park (1)

Comments

Have you been to Mljet National Park?