"Spilja, the cave near Soline" Top 5 Page for this destination Mljet National Park Off The Beaten Path Tip by picek

the mouth of the cave
by picek

There is a small cave off the path from Pristaniste to Soline (and its close to Soline), the sign saying Spilja (which means cave in Croatian) will point you into right direction. It's a few minutes walk on a unpaved path, under trees and among bushes - and they you will finally get close to it... well, it's not the grandest and most impressive cave I've ever seen but it's there and it speaks of geological history of the place, so it's highly valuable.

Dark mouth on the bottom reminds theire is lot more to that Spilja than the fist visible impression... well equipped and familiar with caves will know how to deal with it, for us it only seemed a little risky to try the mystery.

But we heard bats, we smelled the cave; it's interesting. Smell reminds me of some old salt. Only rudimental formations we saw from its ceiling (stalgmites, stalactites...), well... it is probably a young one, measured in geological years, of course...

As far as caves are concerned, there are no shortage of them on Mljet, and one particularly stands out: Odisejeva or Ulysses cave, but it's not in the national park and I will mention it on my other Mljet page.

• Written Oct 4, 2010

Comments

Have you been to Mljet National Park?