Ealing Park Tavern: "Great gastropub" Top 5 Page for this destination Ealing Restaurant Tip by toonsarah

Ealing Restaurants: 29 reviews and 40 photos

Summer berries

Summer berries
      Chris's charcuterie
      Red wine in the Ealing Park Tavern
    by toonsarah

Update May 2014: the pub is currently closed for refurbishment. I will monitor and update this tip when I see what happens

We returned to the Ealing Park Tavern for dinner recently, having not visited for several years, and immediately wondered why we had left it so long. The atmosphere is cosy and friendly, the food excellent and the prices not bad for this good a meal in this pricey area.

You enter through the door on the corner to find yourself in the pub part of the operation, with a long bar and typical gastropub style wooden tables and chairs. A velvet curtain hangs across the entrance to the restaurant, which is spread over two rooms: the first a small cosy space with another bar, the second larger and airier with the open kitchen along the far wall. There is also a large garden with its furniture set out for eating under awnings and (when needed) patio heaters.

On this visit we had a table in the main room, and although quiet at first it soon filled up. In fact on this particular Saturday they were turning people away so do book to be on the safe side. [I think you can also eat in the pub area but I don’t know if the menu is the same.]

Favorite Dish: The menu is short and changes daily, depending on what’s in season. Typically you’ll find five starters (one or two of them suitable for vegetarians), and a similar number of main courses and desserts. Portions are not too huge, so it’s possible to enjoy all three courses if you go easy on the sides such as home-made crusty bread and chunky chips!

On this visit I started with an unusual combination of “Smoked artichoke, olive and feta stuffed tempura courgette flower, coriander pesto”. I had never eaten smoked artichoke but they were delicious with a subtle earthy flavour that went well with the salty olive stuffing in the courgette flower. Chris chose the charcuterie plate, which consisted of two different prosciuttos and a coarse pate, served with crackers, chilli jam and horseradish.

For my main course I had “Wild rabbit, prosciutto, pappardelle, swiss chard, wild mushrooms” – also delicious! Chris loved his “Morteau sausage” served with celeriac remoulade and herb mash, though the promised “port jus” only arrived when he was several mouthfuls into the meal!

We both manage to fit in a dessert! I had the summer berries, served with a shortbread biscuit and dollop of clotted cream, while Chris chose the chilled cherry soup with ricotta dumplings.

With two glasses of good Rioja for me and a pint of beer for Chris we paid £76 including the optional service charge – not a bargain but not expensive either for what is probably one of the best meals you can get in Ealing. We will be back – and we won’t leave it so long next time!

Address: 222 South Ealing Road, Ealing, W5 4RL
Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: The 65 bus from Ealing Broadway stops just across the road, or you can walk from South Ealing tube station (Piccadilly line) – turn right and follow South Ealing Road, crossing Popes Lane, until you reach the pub on the same side as the station
Phone: %s3 %cb 020 8758 1879
Price: US$31-40
Rating: 4
Theme: Pub/Brewery
Website: http://www.ealingparktavern.com/

• Updated May 8, 2014

Comments

toonsarah Lives Here!

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Have you been to Ealing?