"Suggestions for a 12-months packing list" Shillong Packing List Tip by anilpradhanshillong
Shillong What to Pack: 1 reviews and 5 photos
Luggage and bags: Luggage & Bags: Sturdy rain-resistant suitcases. These get thrown around either on top of a bus or get squashed when packed in the boot of a taxi/Tata Sumo.
Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Weather in Shillong is extremely whimsical. At times, it rains when the sun is shining brilliantly. Sometimes during the summers, the wind howls. Some amount of woollies required the whole year round. Pack sturdy walking shoes besides formal ones, including dainty sandals. Ladies here are *very* fashion-conscious. Suggested gear:
Apr-Sep=Summer & Moonsoons=Light clothing, raincoat, umbrella, wind-cheater. Light sweater/shawl recommended as Shillong weather is whimsical.
Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Toiletries & Medical Supplies: No need, except your daily dosage. Be aware though that, being a Christian state, shops selling medicine may be closed on Sundays. Also, some life-saving drugs are not easily available but have to be procured from Guwahati, 3 hours away.
Photo Equipment: Photo Equipment: No need. All types of photographic equipment, including batteries, are readily available, except on Sundays.
Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: No need. Various Goverment resthouses and private B&B have sprung up even in remote areas. Besides, you can start early and return to base by late evening.
1. Peace-loving people with a placid lifestyle.
2. 'Kwai'-chewing (betel nut) people.
3. Shillong is a cosmopolitan place.
4. English gets you by even in remote areas. Reason? Missionaries.
5. Scenic beauty. Some places are virgin territory.
6. People are passionate about archery betting, football, music, chewing 'paan', foreign
influx, uranium mining. Avoid discussions regarding last two topics.
7. 18-hole golf course.
More Reviews (34)
- See All Iewduh - The Khasi All-Women Market
- See All Succulent Mylliem Chicken
- See All Original Buddhist Temple-Polo Area
- See All Women-Only Taxis on March 8th.