"Don't go there now." Tamaraw Beach Resort Tip by greg20aug

Tamaraw Beach Resort, Puerto Galera: 208 reviews and 5 photos

I lived in the Tamaraw Beach Resort hotel for 11 months to July 2010 and times prior to that.

In that time I noticed a steep decline in service and standards. The uniformed night security staff were replaced by casually dressed local village boys who also worked as cleaners during the day. Many times I found them asleep. The off duty staff used to party with alcohol in the hotel grounds and most of them live-in.

The hotel is building a large 3 floor conference centre which is adjoining the hotel. The owners told me they had run out of money due to their bank stopping more loans due to the world wide recession so in desperation every peso being made by the hotel was being spent on the conference centre to the detriment of the hotel!

2 metres from the hotel room windows on the other side is a 4 floor extension being built by the neighbouring hotel so the noise is a constant nuisance from both sides. The new buildings also closes off the beach from the road leaving only one narrow path for locals to use.

A now disused bar next to the guest rest area is used by the local beach vendors to rest, eat and make name bracelets etcetera. They use it continuously as there are very few foreign guests in the area. They also play cards for money.

Vendors are a general nuisance at the best of times but to have them continuously there makes guests holidays quite miserable. They are very persistent!

If you have family or friends with you they allow all of them to have credit from the hotel shop and the first you know about it is when they give you your bill at the end of your stay. They do not keep detailed records or collect a signature from the purchaser. This is even more strange the fact that everyone must sign and give room numbers in the restaurant. I had many conversations with other guests who bitterly resent this practice. After lots of complaints they still do it!!

Medel, the general manager is rarely there. He spends most of his time as site manager of the new conference centre and goes away for days at a time to purchase building supplies. When he's there his time is taken up meeting suppliers, site foremen and checking on progress of his new venture.

I'm so disappointed. This used to be my favourite hotel in the Philippines. Not any-more . It's so sad to see a great hotel go bad.

NB I have lost the disc of all my pictures so if anyone has some of the two offending building sites I would be grateful if they email them to me so I can post them here.

Address: Tamaraw Beach Resort, Aninuan, Puerto Galera, Philippines
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://

• Updated Sep 26, 2010

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to Puerto Galera?