"Catch the Princesa Ico boat to Fuerteventura" Isla de Lanzarote Things to Do Tip by MikeBird

Isla de Lanzarote Things to Do: 336 reviews and 599 photos

The Princesa Ico in Puerto del Carmen port

The Princesa Ico in Puerto del Carmen port
      Islas des Lobos off Corallejo
      Approaching Corallejo
    by MikeBird

I quite liked the idea of catching the boat over to Corralejo on Fuerteventura for a day trip. When I discovered the cost 38Euros each as foot passengers on the Fred Olsen fast ferry I quickly changed my mind. How on earth can they justify such high costs?

Anyway I discovered an alternative means of getting to the neighbouring island by booking as foot passengers on the smaller boat called the Princesa Ico which leaves from Puerto del Carmen port. The boat + the coach cost 25Euros each. Be warned though - the boat doesn't do this trip every day of the week. We caught it on a Saturday. Make sure you plan accordingly.

As we were staying in Playa Blanca it did mean an early start (07.45) but the coach collected us on time and we were taken to the port in comfort gathering up fellow travellers from their hotels en route. We were the first to be picked up and the last to be dropped off so we had a long day, getting back after 7pm.

The boat trip was fine and it took about 1.5hours giving us good views of the Lanzarote coastline and the Islas de Lobos as we approached Corralejo. Most of the other passengers on board had booked for the full coach trip that would take them off to lunch and the beach in the National Park ( at 54Euros each). We didn't want lunch and so found a cheaper way to do the same by hiring a taxi. We just strolled off the boat and found a harbour side café before wandering into the rather uninspiring port from where we found a taxi - 8Euros each way to the magnificent beach.

The boat for me was the highlight. I always like going on boats and was very pleased to see a number of flying fish scittering out of our way. On the return journey I had a fleeting glimpse of a turtle and if you're keen on birds do look out for the Cory's Shearwater that nest on the offshore islands and are easily seen from the boat.

On the return journey the boat stopped just outside the port. Food was thrown out for the fish and a few travellers at a time could watch through a glass window in the hull of the boat. Frankly it was a bit tame - especially if you do a lot of snorkelling - but people seemed to enjoy watching the fish.

So if you're prepared to be a bit creative you can get a much cheaper ride to Fuerteventura for the day.

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Written Sep 18, 2010

Comments

MikeBird

“always choosing the forward facing seat”

Have you been to Isla de Lanzarote?