La Stazione: "My First German Beer In Germany" Aachen Restaurant Tip by johngayton

Aachen Restaurants: 140 reviews and 269 photos

• Lunch - Aachen
      Beer #1
      Location On Left Corner Of Square
    by johngayton

It was only when the cheery waiter greeted me "Buongiorno" that I realsised that my first visit to a German restaurant was in fact to an Italian one! I'd chosen this one after I'd checked my train times and that the Aachen Hbf ticket machine was user-friendly (which it is) as it had an attractive, reasonably busy, terrace on the sunny side of the square opposite the railway station.

Never mind - my Italian menu-reading skills are far better than my German ones and whilst the menu is very Italian the beers are distinctively not.

Favorite Dish: I was just after a light lunch and so the Salate section of the menu was ideal, and very reasonably priced. My "Insalata di Mare" turned out to be the mixed seafood that you buy in tubs, pickled in brine, but none the worse for that - plenty of fishy bits tossed through a rocket salad with the occasional bite of fresh chillies, a good olive oil dressing and a copious grind of fresh black pepper. Best though were the moistly chewy little breads which accompanied it and with a couple of large beers (Erdinger, from erding in Bavaria) the 14 Euro bill was excellent value.

Address: Bahnfofsplatz 5
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: On the left-hand corner of the square opposite the main railway station.
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 4
Theme: Italian

• Updated Sep 18, 2010

“The slow lane often gets you there faster”

Have you been to Aachen?