"Mind your own business! (towards the homeless)" Areas to Avoid Tip by peacelovejasmine

Areas to Avoid, San Francisco: 96 reviews and 24 photos

I have lived in San Francisco all my life. I go to school in downtown SF, just around the Van Ness/Tenderloin area. I take BART to Powell (downtown) and then take the 38 through the Tenderloin to my school. I have also walked through Civic Center, up Van Ness to get to school. I have had homeless people come up to me and ask for money and whatnot, but you just ignore them! Don't even look at them while passing by.
-If you buy something with cash, make sure you put it away safely before leaving the store.
-Don't flaunt expensive or nice things.
-Avoid the Tenderloin! If you walk about 3 or 4 blocks and you notice people hanging out, TURN AROUND.
-Be aware of your surroundings, and know where your going!
These are really basic things. If you don't know where you are going, go into a Walgreens or any store and look it up on your phone/map. You could even ask the cashier. Also if you are taking public transportation, BART and MUNI all have mobile websites, that way you know when you're bus is coming, etc.
Even though San Francisco is a really sort of a hippy-like place, it doesn't mean it doesn't have it's bad areas.
*** I recommend picking up the sunday newspaper. In the pink section, it has all the events going on.
** I live in the Excelsior. It's not bad, it's just a working class neighborhood. Not everyone can afford to live in Ingleside or the Marina.

Address: San Francisco

• Updated Sep 8, 2010

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to San Francisco?