"Hiking in Alto Adige: enchanting" Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Sports & Outdoors Tip by Trekki
Italy Sports & Outdoors: 17 reviews and 23 photos
Dolomiti (or Dolomites for non-Italians) is prime hiking in northern Italy and well known among alpinists and day hikers alike. But it can be crowded during the season and also more on the expensive side. For those who seek the less hiked paths without having to relinquish splendid scenery, the northern part of Italy’s region Alto Adige (Südtirol in local language) is an excellent alternative. Especially the valleys of Alta Val Isarco (Wipptal) and Val Isarco (Eisacktal) are of a special beauty with mountains up to 3200 m. The website below mentions a total of more than 17.000 km of hiking trails. My most favourite parts are the mountains around Mules (Mauls) I stayed several times in a little pension of a mountain farmer family and we did amazing day hikes through splendid nature. Especially in late spring and autumn it is marvellous with meadows in full wildflower blossom and an abundance of mushrooms. In summer, when the traditional alp farmers are having their livestock up in the mountains, they will always serve milk and cheese to the hungry hikers.
The website of Alto Adige (Südtirol) below is excellent. It is a portal with loads of information about the valleys, with atmospheric videos, with hiking trails for all seasons. Most of the given trails are linked to a topographic map and each has a detailed hike description.
Mauls/Mules on Google Maps
© Ingrid D., December 2010 (just in case, RickS or others come along and think they can steal texts).
More Sports & Outdoors in Italy (1)
More Reviews (106)
- See All Marvellous old palazzo in middle Umbria
- See All ZTL: limited&controlled car traffic,...
- See All Don’t reduce Italy to the famous cities...
- See All Spello: Umbria’s flower town & amazing...
- See All Very cheerful cemeteries
- See All Delicious snacks: zero need to look for...
- See All No warnings, just learn some "rules" :)
- See All Marina Rinaldi - what a gorgeous...
- See All While you are sightseeing
- See All Utmost trash: M. di Blasi, Frances Mayes
- See All Madonna della Stella, with fascinating...
Been to Italy?Share your travels with the world!
Trekki's Related Pages
Explore the World
Have you been to Italy?Share Your Travels
Top Italy hotels
- Rome Hotels
- 11940 Reviews - 26463 Photos
- Venice Hotels
- 8142 Reviews - 21399 Photos
- Milan Hotels
- 2765 Reviews - 6830 Photos
- Florence Hotels
- 5082 Reviews - 11268 Photos
- Sorrento Hotels
- 627 Reviews - 1400 Photos
- Positano Hotels
- 300 Reviews - 632 Photos
- Amalfi Hotels
- 255 Reviews - 728 Photos
- Taormina Hotels
- 259 Reviews - 697 Photos
- Pisa Hotels
- 1384 Reviews - 3892 Photos
- Verona Hotels
- 1694 Reviews - 4251 Photos
- Trieste Hotels
- 744 Reviews - 1940 Photos
- Siena Hotels
- 890 Reviews - 2681 Photos
- Lucca Hotels
- 568 Reviews - 1478 Photos
- La Spezia Hotels
- 120 Reviews - 250 Photos
- Palermo Hotels
- 472 Reviews - 1147 Photos