"Hiking in Alto Adige: enchanting" Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Sports & Outdoors Tip by Trekki
Italy Sports & Outdoors: 17 reviews and 23 photos
Dolomiti (or Dolomites for non-Italians) is prime hiking in northern Italy and well known among alpinists and day hikers alike. But it can be crowded during the season and also more on the expensive side. For those who seek the less hiked paths without having to relinquish splendid scenery, the northern part of Italy’s region Alto Adige (Südtirol in local language) is an excellent alternative. Especially the valleys of Alta Val Isarco (Wipptal) and Val Isarco (Eisacktal) are of a special beauty with mountains up to 3200 m. The website below mentions a total of more than 17.000 km of hiking trails. My most favourite parts are the mountains around Mules (Mauls) I stayed several times in a little pension of a mountain farmer family and we did amazing day hikes through splendid nature. Especially in late spring and autumn it is marvellous with meadows in full wildflower blossom and an abundance of mushrooms. In summer, when the traditional alp farmers are having their livestock up in the mountains, they will always serve milk and cheese to the hungry hikers.
The website of Alto Adige (Südtirol) below is excellent. It is a portal with loads of information about the valleys, with atmospheric videos, with hiking trails for all seasons. Most of the given trails are linked to a topographic map and each has a detailed hike description.
Mauls/Mules on Google Maps
© Ingrid D., December 2010 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)
More Sports & Outdoors in Italy (1)
More Reviews (106)
- See All Marvellous old palazzo in middle Umbria
- See All ZTL: limited&controlled car traffic,...
- See All Don’t reduce Italy to the famous cities...
- See All Spello: Umbria’s flower town & amazing...
- See All Very cheerful cemeteries
- See All Delicious snacks: zero need to look for...
- See All No warnings, just learn some "rules" :)
- See All Marina Rinaldi - what a gorgeous...
- See All While you are sightseeing
- See All Utmost trash: M. di Blasi, Frances Mayes
- See All Madonna della Stella, with fascinating...
Been to Italy?Share your travels with the world!
Trekki's Related Pages
Have you been to Italy?Share Your Travels
Top Italy hotels
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26762 Photos
- Venice Hotels
- 8188 Reviews - 21642 Photos
- Florence Hotels
- 5098 Reviews - 11237 Photos
- Sorrento Hotels
- 637 Reviews - 1431 Photos
- Milan Hotels
- 2811 Reviews - 7021 Photos
- Positano Hotels
- 300 Reviews - 633 Photos
- Verona Hotels
- 1714 Reviews - 4305 Photos
- Bologna Hotels
- 1031 Reviews - 2935 Photos
- Taormina Hotels
- 259 Reviews - 700 Photos
- Bergamo Hotels
- 1097 Reviews - 4370 Photos
- Amalfi Hotels
- 255 Reviews - 728 Photos
- Santa Margherita Ligure Hotels
- 77 Reviews - 258 Photos
- Genoa Hotels
- 726 Reviews - 1881 Photos
- Catania Hotels
- 262 Reviews - 547 Photos
- Pisa Hotels
- 1418 Reviews - 3973 Photos