Piece Brewery & Pizzeria: "Wicker Park-New Haven style pizza" Top 5 Page for this destination Piece Tip by Dabs

Piece, Chicago: 4 reviews and 0 photos

Piece is routinely listed on everyone's "Best of Pizza" lists, their artichoke heart pizza placed at #2 on Chicago Magazine's list in June 2010. So I figured it was time to give it a try and we headed over on a Saturday early evening around 6pm. Reports of 3 hour waits are common on the weekend and they don't take reservations for parties of less than 10 but it was a little early on a sunny summer day so we lucked out and got seated right away.

The noise level here is very high, it's challenging to have a conversation and the tables are close together so expect to have the tables on either side of you strike up a conversation or at the very least check out your pizza.

Piece is co-owned by Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick, you can see at least one of his five neck guitars on the wall.

Favorite Dish: The pizza here is New Haven style, as in New Haven, Connecticut although they don't have a coal oven but use a gas oven instead. We opted for the plain version, a traditional New Haven pizza with red sauce, garlic, parmesan and olive oil but no mozzarella cheese, a traditional thin crust in Chicago usually has mozzarella. You can also get red with traditional tomato sauce and mozzarella or "white" with olive oil, diced garlic and mozzarella cheese, mozzarella is not a traditional ingredient on white pizzas so not sure why they put it on here.

The pizza is served on a big metal tray and comes out in slices, not in squares like Chicago thin crust. The medium we ordered was pretty big, the large is enormous. The crust was chewy to start and became more crunchy as it cooled off, I really didn't miss the cheese all that much. A lot of garlic, I was still tasting it hours later. We got pepperoni and meatballs on it, next time I'll try some of the odder ingredients or maybe a white pizza with clams.

Piece also brews their own beers, David tried one of them and really liked it. I'm not putting Piece as my #2 pizza in Chicago but it was pretty good and we'll probably come back another time to try it again.

Address: 1927 W. North Ave
Theme: Pizza
Website: http://www.piecechicago.com/

• Updated Aug 29, 2010

Dabs Lives Here!

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Chicago?