Laguna Pintada: "a nice way to end our trek with creature comforts" Cocuy Hotel Tip by richiecdisc

Cocuy Hotels: 10 reviews and 11 photos

a very scenic setting

a very scenic setting
    by richiecdisc
      simple but real luxury after seven nights in tent
    by richiecdisc

Our last night of the trek was spent at Cabanas Laguna Pintada. For me, it was a bit anti-climatic. I wasn't sure if it was the idea that I had missed camping at Lagunillas or that nothing could compare to the morning we had at Laguna de la Plaza. For my wife, the cabanas were a sight for sore eyes and legs. It is a charming little place set in about a pretty a setting as you could imagine.

Unique Qualities: The have dorm beds but for us, a double was the only option. After spending five nights in the wilderness, sharing our space was out of the question. The little room was cozy if cold and though we could not cook in the kitchen, there was ample room outside for me to use my stove. The very sweet owner suggested I used it in the building as it was cold out but I didn't want to burn the place down and I was used to cooking outside and in the cold at that point. It was nice enough that we could sit inside at a real table to eat it! Doreen did get her shower albeit a cold one. We were still not really back in civilization but she was happy to be clean if cold. I opted to wait one more day for such pleasure.

We paid 60,000 COP (about $30) for the room which is certainly pricey but in this remote an area and being so close to such splendor it is a good option for those not into trekking or camping. They offer meals as well and the food sure smelled good but then again, after six days of dehydrated meals just about anything would smell good! There are also some nice looking hiking trails in the area though at this point, hiking was the last thing on our minds!

Comparison: about average
Directions: If not truly a trekker, there are horses to be hired and you could get close enough by four-wheel drive to make it very doable as a day hike or horse trip.
Price: less than US$20
Theme: Hostel

• Written Aug 29, 2010

Comments

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Have you been to Cocuy?